Nov 7, 2021

Time Traveler: E126 - Inexplicable


Robin had almost reached the door when he noticed that contrary to what he had thought, Dustin was already awake, ready to start his day's work. Just now he was in the kitchen, all dressed and with breakfast ready.


"Hey Rob."
"Hey, Dust," Robin he answered from the doorway, not daring to show his face. 
"Good morning. Good to see you awake and back on your feet. How are you feeling today, a little better?"


"Yes, I-- I'm much better, as you can see," Robin replied, turning to him. 
Dustin froze.
"What? Good God, Robin, your face--"
"I know."
"But how...? "
"I really don't know, when I got out of the tub the bruises were gone," Robin replied.
"Gone? Just like that? How do you explain it?"


"I don't have an explanation, they just-- disappeared."
"Wow, this is amazing! No doubt about it, that bracelet sure is advanced medicine."
"Yeah, well, I don't think the bracelet has anything to do with it. I don't even wear it anymore, plus I never heard it could do anything like that."
"You're saying you cured yourself out of nowhere, just by going to sleep? 
"It seems so."
"Amazing! 


Do you realize that we are facing a ground-breaking discovery here, a new form of healing. What would we call it--self-healing?"
"Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say I 'self-healed.' We both know that's not how the human body works. Our skin doesn't regenerate itself overnight."
"Well, something must have caused this effect. Do you think it was the drugs from the bracelet?"
"Honestly, I doubt it."
"Then maybe it was the Portal explosion? The radiation it produced could have caused you to mutate in some way."
"I don't think so."


"Are you sure? Don't you feel different? Changed?
"Well, I must say I feel a lot better and stronger than I did before the accident, but--" 
"There you have it. Unbelievable... Tell me, did you ever experience anything like this before? I mean the self-healing."
"No, because I've never hurt myself before, except when I was a kid, hence the scar on my lip". 


"... Although I don't remember how it happened."
"Perhaps on that occasion you self-healed as well. Then your 'power' would be from birth. But how did you acquire it in the first place?"
 "No idea, and frankly I don't think I have any 'power'."
"That we don't know. Maybe your parents had it and passed it on to you. Or maybe you were the subject of some experiment that resulted in this."


"Please, Dust, an experiment for what or by whom?"
"I don't know, that's what we need to find out, or don't you want to know?"
"Sure, I'd love to. Which brings me to what I was going to ask you last night."
"Right, the favor you wanted, what is it? Reveal the mystery already."

(To be continued)

No comments: