Sep 4, 2021

Time Traveler: E105. The Informant - Part 1


"You know-- It offends me that you distrust me at this point".
"It offends me that you pretended to be my volunteer only to pump me for information".
"I didn't 'pump you for information'. You gave it to me of your own free will".
"Whatever-- Are you wearing a bug or not?"
"Yes. But I turned it off before you started your confession. I'd never do anything that could harm you, Robin. I'd rather die than giving you away. And I didn't pretend to be your volunteer. I wanted this child more than anything in the world".
"So did I".
"No, you didn't. You just wanted to secure your descendancy. That's why you applied for and engineered baby in the first place. But you already have a heir in Aurora Skies, with Juliette, so you probably don't care for ours anymore".
Robin let out a sigh.


""Kaleigh, forgive me, okay? It wasn't my intention to offend you. I'm just nervous and scared. But I do appreciate what you did offering yourself as my volunteer, and it doesn't matter if I have other children, I do care for you and this baby as well, believe me".
"You don't have to apologize or pretend to care for me, Crane.  I got myself into this, so I'll handle it on my own. Now, you don't want to feel nervous and scared? Put your medical bracelet back on so you can recieve your round of supressants".


And without giving him time to respond, she walked past him towards the elevator, but she stopped dead in her tracks and turned to him once more.
"I will stay here only for the time that the RSL requires, after that you'll never hear from me again. And don't worry, your secret is safe with me, but I'll have to re-enable my mic at some point so be careful what you say from now on. Good night, Crane".


Robin stood alone in the dining room, trembling. The bracelet! But of course, how come he hadn't thought about that little detail?  It was obvious it wouldn't go unnoticed for Kaleigh. Now she will report him for sure. It wasn't safe for him to continue under the same roof with her. But she couldn't abandon or let her out of his life either. Not because the stupid rules of the RSL, but because, all in all, she was the mother of his child.


Once in her room, while she got ready for bed, Kaleigh thought as well about her conversation with Robin.
"Your secret is safe with me", she had told him. It was true, but useless because the Council already knew, that had been the very reason they had sent her to investigate.
She could cover for him for a while, but sooner or later they will find out by their own means, and they will punish Robin. And her, for not following their orders. They both were in deep trouble and there was only one person in Oasis Landing that could get them out of it.


Her phone rang just at that moment, she grabbed it and looked at the name on the screen: Emit Relevart, thank heaven. It was as if he had read her mind! 

No comments: