Aug 29, 2021

Time Traveler: E104 - Too Much Information - Part 3


"So you had already... *ugh*, knocked up Juliette but you had a fight, she decided to keep it from you, and since you desperately needed offspring, you got entangled with Ann."
"I didn't get entangled, I married her because.... well, it's none of your business why I married her."


"Don't tell me, you fell in love? Wow..." Kaleigh scoffed. "Robin Crane, in love - and with two at the same time, no less!"
"It's not funny."
"You're right, it's rather pathetic. And it could be the end of your career, you know? Do you want my advice?"
"I don't remember asking you for one."


"Well, I'll give it to you anyway: don't go back to 2016. Ask for a vacation, or better yet, quit, dedicate yourself to working with your plumbots and forget about time travel."
"Forget Juliette, Ann and my children? No, I can't."
"It's for the best. If you go back there and the council finds out.... well, you know what the punishment is."
"Yes, I know, you don't have to remind me."


"What I don't know is how could the Council find out? You said you weren't going to report me."
"I won't. It's certainly not the wisest thing to do, they could take my job and even my son if they know I covered up for you. But my loyalty will always be with you, no matter what."
"I appreciate that, and I promise I'm going to make it up to you."
"You promise? Please, we both know that keeping promises is not Robin Crane's strong suit," Kaleigh concluded bitterly.


Robin stood up and walked away so she wouldn't see his annoyance.
"Believe it or not, I've changed," he replied. 
"Yes, for the worse. You've broken every rule and betrayed the system you fervently believed in.  You are about to destroy your career, even your life, on a whim."
"It's not a whim, Kale. It's not that simple. Why I did what I did is more complicated than that."


"You don't have to explain anything else to me. Do as you please, but be careful. Right now someone could be watching us. There are cameras, microphones and surveillance drones all over the esplanade, some even inside houses.
"Not in mine. There is absolute privacy here, it's a Time Travelers' privilege. We can talk safely... Unless you bring a bug, of course. After all you are an informant, aren't you?
"..."

No comments: