Aug 19, 2013

The Dreadful Error Code 12 (And how to Prevent it)



If you are a hardcore The Sims 3 player, one of those who play for hours, that is, a minimum of 2 or 3 hours per day, surely you have already encountered the dreaded Error Code 12, an error that appears when you try to save your game. 
It is typical, you played many hours, you had great fun, your sims made great progress and when you try to save your game and go to sleep... Surprise, there is an error that prevents you to save. If you are lucky, deleting your game folder in the Saves folder (.bad file extension) and trying to save again will fix everything. If not, your torment will begin, because once the Error Code 12 appears, it is practically impossible to save your game.


Personally, I have lost several saved games thanks to this nasty error, but I have also learned along the way that it may not be possible to save the ruined game, but it is possible to prevent the error from occurring in future plays. How? Well, first it is necessary to understand what causes the famous error. 

Nobody knows for sure, but I -like many- have my own theory and this is that Error Code 12 is a problem with the computer's memory, more specifically, with the operating system, which is not able to store the huge amount of data that is generated with only one or two hours of gameplay in The Sims 3. 

As you play, new sims are generated by default in your neighborhood, new families arrive, couples get married, have a child, two and even three; they adopt pets, get jobs and most complicated of all: they have their own memories. So, it's not just what your sim (or sims, if there are several of them) do during your game, but what a whole city does in just one sim-day of life.

Well, knowing this, the conclusion is that you have to reduce the size of your neighborhood and for that I will list several suggestions, but not before saying that since I applied my own solution almost a week ago, I have not seen again the Error Code 12 message when saving my game, and also, I have noticed a better game performance: no lag; worlds, batches and the whole game itself loads faster; games are saved in seconds, the game shuts down easily and quickly, and best of all, crashes have been reduced to almost zero (I may have had one or two in the week, but it may have been for different reasons). 

So, here are some of the "tricks" I did to keep my game clean and running at 100%. Not all of them are easy, and I must clarify that some of them, or all of them together have taken me long days of work and some headaches, but anyway, here they are for those who want to put them into practice; believe me, it's worth it.

1. No more Sims 3 Packs except for the ones from the Sims 3 Store.  
It sounds drastic but it helped me a lot to improve the game performance, and to keep my downloads organized. To do this, I uninstalled absolutely all the downloads installed with Sims 3 Packs, that is, the ones I installed with the Launcher, using the method I already detailed in my post: Uninstalling Sims 3 Packs.
I uninstalled absolutely all the custom content and, as for the Store content, I uninstalled it as well, but once I cleaned my Launcher, I re-downloaded all the items from the Purchase History section of my The Sims 3 Store account, so my DCCache folder was now completely free and decluttered. But... What about all those downloads such as hair, clothes, accessories and makeup without which I can't live, or rather, play? Lol. We'll get to that in the next point.

2. All the content of the Downloads folder go to the Mods/Packages folder. 
It is a titanic task but it can be done, and it is not so difficult, much less if you don't have much customized content, that is to say things that you have downloaded from different creators without which you can't or don't want to play. The first thing you have to do is to make a selection of the things (clothes, hair and makeup -no furniture for now-) that you like the most, of course, if you have been careful to leave all your Sims 3 packs downloads in the Downloads folder you won't have any problem finding them. 
If, like me, you are one of those who are constantly cleaning their folders, and you no longer have any Sims3Pack files in your Downloads folder, then you will have to re-download them from the sites where they are located, for example the hairs on the Newsea, Peggy, Cazy, Butterfly, Skysims, etc. sites. I know this is a lot of work, but it's all about "cleaning up" and starting over, so let's pretend we are back to square one, with our game clean, freshly installed and free of content. Now we go "shopping" on the download sites and download everything we love to make our sims look good. 
Once we have downloaded all the Sims3Packs and .packages of our favorite content, the next step is to download the program Delphy's Sims3Pack Multi-Installer and read the instructions, by using this simple program, we can transform all our Sims3Pack files to .package files and store them in the Mods/ Packages folder. Neat, huh?

Using this method, all our custom content downloads will be in .package format and can be stored in the Mods folder. This will make future updates to the game easier, as we can simply pull out the Mods folder every time we make an update or install a new EP without our downloads causing us problems. It will also be easier to delete things we no longer want, without having to go through the hassle of uninstalling content through the Sims3Launcher.

In short, custom content from various creators, from now on, will go to the Mods/Packages folder. And the one from the Store will go to the Sims 3 Launcher. This means that every time we download a Sims3Pack that is NOT from the Store, we will have to convert it to .package, using Delphy's Multi-Installer and store it in Mods/Packages. With our downloads already there and the Launcher uncongested, we move on to the next step.

3. Organize your Mods/Packages Folder. 
It is recommended that you organize your downloads in separate folders so that you can identify, move or uninstall them when necessary. Here is an image of my own Mods/Packages folder (downloads still uncompressed).

Organizing them in this way makes it easier in case you decide to compress them to reduce the size of your downloads folder. Having organized the Mods/Packages folder, I strongly advise you to make a backup, that is, copy the folder and paste it on your Desktop or save it to your My Documents folder. This way you will not only have a backup of all your custom content, but you will be able to work on it every time you make a new download and need to compress again. Of course, that's in case you decide to compress your downloads, as explained on step 4.



In this second image, the contents of some folders have already been compressed. It appears as a .package file and its name starts with S3PE, which is how I have named them. On the right you can see the size of each file, which is much smaller than that of each folder with uncompressed content.


4. Compress the .package files in the Mods/Packages folder. 
This step is optional, but HIGHLY recommended if we want to avoid lag. Compressing the files to reduce the size of the Mods/Packages folder is a great help for game performance. This is NOT an easy task, but if you already have some experience with certain programs and in handling your game files, I recommend you to follow the instructions in this fabulous tutorial by EvaTer: Compressing packages files Part 1 y Part 2.

I want to emphasize that, to do this, you must have some experience with SimPE, or follow step by step and carefully the indications in the tutorial. If you decide to do it I assure you that you will notice a world of difference in the performance of your game. :)

Note: Mods, Sliders and Default Replacements are best NOT compressed.

5. Clean Up the Neighborhood! 
Clean your neighborhood (or world as you want to call it) of everything that makes it heavy and difficult to play. Delete all unknown families, who have nothing to do with your sims. Keep only their family and friends. If you write stories, keep only the characters you really need for the plot. Also delete buildings and houses that you have downloaded and installed via the Launcher, as they may contain errors. If you want you can install them again later, using Delphy's Clean Pack Installer, to "clean" them. 
The contents of some of these batches will have already been uninstalled in Step 2 anyway, so they probably no longer display correctly or contain items that the game has replaced with defaults. Say goodbye to anything that is not part of The Sims 3 and its expansions; or the Sims Store. Tough, but necessary. You will get your house downloads back later. 
If you get up the courage and do this now, when you finish the "cleaning" you will notice the difference, your computer will even feel lighter! Another thing you will notice when you have left your neighborhood free of "junk", is that your graphics will improve a lot, everything will look sharper and more beautiful, especially if you have a high-end graphics card. ;) Now you can play without problems! But if you want your game to run even better, we still have some details to fine-tune in the following points. :)

6. Goodbye to Memories.
Yes, as you heard it. Those memories that you like so much to share with your friends on your Sims 3 wall, neither you nor your sim need them anymore. Besides, when accumulating those of your favorite sim with those of all the other sims, they can cause problems like unexpected crashes and the already mentioned and insufferable Error Code 12. Better get rid of them periodically, if possible, every time you close your game at night, when you finish sharing them with your friends, delete them and keep your Scrapbook clean. If you have never deleted your memories, surely they are too many to delete one by one, and the game doesn't have a tool to get rid of them easily and quickly, but if you use the Twallan Master Controller mod (Nraas Industries) you can delete them with just a few clicks in the Master Controller>Intermediate>Remove Memories option and that's it!

7. Deleting IMG files from TravelDB.package and SNAP from NHD-Town File with Sim3PE (Only for advanced S3PE users).
All the images that are generated throughout the game are saved in the folder of your saved game, which is the folder called Saves, specifically in the files that contain the information of your neighborhood, one with the name of your World, extension .nhd; and the other of name TravelDB, extension .package.
In my case those files are:

HiddenSprings0x0886666eb8.nhd

and

TravelDB.package. 

To delete the images stored in them, you will have to alter the files, using Sim3PE and the instructions Twallan has described here  http://nraas.wikispaces.com/General+Issues+FAQ If you want to give it a try, navigate to about halfway down the page and follow the directions carefully - if you manage to do this, you'll instantly notice the difference in your game! Be warned though, this is only temporary relief.

8. Twallan Mods are indispensable. 
Yes, a few years ago I would hear the word "mods" and freak out. But since I "discovered" the Twallan mods from Nraas Industries, my game (and the life of my sims) has completely changed, for the better, of course. If you want everything to run even better than it does now that you have implemented any or all of the above steps, try using Twallan's mods, especially Master Controller with its Master Controller Cheats add-on, which for me are indispensable.
Overwatch, Story Progression and Error Trap, will keep your game balanced and Dresser will correct flaws in your sims' outfits. I also use others like OnceRead, NoCD and Woohooer.

Anyway, everyone is free to use mods or not, but if you ask me, I absolutely recommend them. If you're thinking of installing them, look in Twallan's page here:  https://www.nraas.net/community/home Of course, I recommend you to update them with every Sims 3 patch and constantly check the Nraas Industries site for possible changes. ;)

9. What do I do with my custom furniture?
That' s a good question. A while ago I had a lot of custom furniture content and build mode. To be honest, some of them caused me a lot of problems, but if you can't resist the temptation to download those extraordinary furniture from the excellent creators all over the internet, make sure you convert them to .package files, save them in your Mods folder to avoid problems with the Launcher, and if you can, use the Sims 3 Dashboard by Delphy tool to detect corrupted, conflicting or duplicate files before putting them in your game.

10. Sims from other creators or from the Sims 3 Exchange.
Be careful with the beautiful sims that you download from different sites, because many times, besides being very attractive, they contain CAS parts that can cause problems that you don't need. You can separate these parts and install the sim only with the default content. To do this use the Sims 3 Pack Cleaner tool. This tool can also be used to "clean" custom content in houses and lots in general.

11. Now to Play!... But first, turn off your antivirus and get a Game Booster. 
Your game is already clean, but now you will need all the power of your computer, and as much RAM as possible. I suspect that your antivirus "steals" too much of it. Some will disagree, but I have concluded from my own experience that by turning off my antivirus at least for the hours I will play, I get better performance and my game runs smoothly. 
The antivirus is not the only thing that eats up your RAM, but also some processes that run in the background of your system, many of them not essential. How do you know which ones you can close to play better? It is difficult to know, and you could make a mistake and close something that your system needs to work properly. Fortunately, there are programs that take care of making the task easier, closing for us all those processes without which your computer can work perfectly. 
Some of these programs are Game Booster, Razer Game Booster and Turbo Boost (included in the Advanced System Care program), by doing a search in your browser you can find them and download them, usually for free. They will not cause you any problems and will save you a lot of RAM memory.


Well, these are the steps I have followed so far to keep my game running smoothly, without crashes and without Error Code 12, I hope you find them useful. Some of them are not easy and may take hours or even days to perform, but they will definitely help you to have a better experience when playing The Sims 3. How often should you clean your neighborhood or your folders? That's your decision. I try to do it once a week or at least when I feel my game starting to get slow again. There is no written rule. Everyone takes and implements what works for them. For me, maintaining my game is vital and I don't see it as something unpleasant or difficult, but as part of the fun. All for a clean game and for the well-being of my dear Sims. :D

It is important to clarify that after using any of these steps you will NOT have to start another game, but you will be able to continue playing with your usual game, the one you love so much. =)

If you ask me which of the tips I've posted and those all over the internet is the most effective, I would tell you that they all work. You may find that only one works for you. For me they have all helped me, together and separately. I tried everything, but error 12 stopped appearing after I started cleaning my Worlds and scanning the content I download with Delphy's Dashboard, so that any possible corrupted file is out of my Mods folder before I start playing.

If on the other hand you ask me, what causes the Error Code 12, I don't know yet! But I have already stated my theory that it may be a memory problem. The Sims 3 in its early days asked for 1.5G of RAM or something like that, but as you keep adding EPs and SPs, and all the store content, plus custom content, it's much more memory that the game asks for, and than some computers can handle. Mine, for example, has 8GB of RAM (for now), it's enough, but it's always good to optimize it. Okay it's just a theory. 

Delphy's Crash Log Analyzer program said that I needed 6GB to avoid crashes, so I increased my memory to 8GB, then to 16GB, but one of my memory sticks got damaged and I'm playing with only 8GB now, so, I must resort to one or more of the tips already described to optimize performance and free up more memory. Still, I'm not free from the occasional crash, but at least the Code 12 error is gone.

Lastly, I want to add - for the experts in The Sims that might found some errors in my post, that I have no deep knowledge of computer science or programming. The very little I know about The Sims 3 I learned it reading on the internet and consulting the sites of those who do have the knowledge. I ALL the credit to them for what I just posted. I thank them for their help, and the time they dedicate to improve my experience with the game. Thanks to all of them, but specially to Twallan and his wonderful mods, my game wouldn't be the same without them. <3

Once again and forever, thanks! And Happy Simming.


No comments: